
By Ibrahim Kegbegbe
Abuja — The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday detained former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, following hours of interrogation over alleged financial improprieties linked to his eight-year administration.
Sources familiar with the development told TheCable that El-Rufai, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), voluntarily honoured an invitation from the anti-graft agency and arrived at its headquarters in Abuja earlier on Monday. After questioning, investigators resolved to keep him in custody overnight as inquiries continued.
“He is in our custody and he is going to spend the night,” an EFCC source said, adding that a decision on his release would depend on the outcome of further interrogation expected to continue on Tuesday.
El-Rufai served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, a period marked by ambitious infrastructure projects, controversial security policies, and persistent criticism from opposition figures and civil society groups over governance and fiscal transparency.
While the EFCC has yet to issue an official statement detailing the specific allegations, sources indicated that investigators are examining transactions and contract awards executed during El-Rufai’s tenure, alongside compliance with procurement and financial regulations.
READ ALSO:Ajadi, Dignitaries Grace 80th Birthday of Alhaji Chief Yunus Omokunmi Mustapha in Iseyin
The Merit Newspaper reports that the former governor, known for his outspoken political style and reformist reputation, has consistently denied wrongdoing in past allegations related to his time in office, often insisting that his administration ran a transparent government. His current engagement with the EFCC, however, marks the most significant legal scrutiny he has faced since leaving office in 2023.
Political observers say the development could have wider implications within the opposition landscape, particularly as El-Rufai remains an influential figure in national political discourse. Human rights advocates, meanwhile, have urged the EFCC to ensure due process and professionalism in handling the matter.
READ ALSO:FG Files Cybercrime Charges Against El-Rufai Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception
As of press time, neither El-Rufai’s legal team nor the EFCC had released a formal statement. Further updates are expected as investigations progress.












