
By Ibrahim Kegbegbe
The Majority Leader of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Noheem Adams, on Friday raised alarm over an alleged plot to manipulate the outcome of the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election that returned him as the party’s candidate for Eti-Osa Constituency I ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Adams, who reportedly secured 7,638 votes against 1,225 votes polled by his opponent, Saheed Adesegun Bankole, during the APC House of Assembly primary held on Wednesday, made the allegation while addressing thousands of supporters during a “Victory Walk” held across parts of Eti-Osa on Friday.
Speaking passionately before the crowd, Adams alleged that Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi was behind attempts to alter the election result in favour of his defeated opponent.
“I want you all very much for the love and passion you have for me and APC. Today is what we call victory walk. We started from VGC with over 4000 APC members. Even inside the rain you stood your ground and you are here to protect your mandate,” Adams told supporters.
“Thank you very much for voting for me. I won the election throughout our wards and the INEC officials, DSS and police personnel were there and even the agents of our opponent were there as well.
“Let me put it on record that his agents and the police signed that the election was free and fair and they took all the results to the local government collation centre.
“When they got there, they presented all the results to the DSS, INEC officials and also to the returning officer and he collected everything and announced that Adams was the winner of the election.”
The lawmaker further linked his current political ordeal to his position during the leadership crisis that rocked the Lagos Assembly earlier in the year.
“We believe in this party. The only crime I have committed was during the impeachment of the Speaker; that I did not follow them and did not stand against the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly,” he alleged.
READ ALSO:Danladi Wins Kwara APC Primary With Landslide Victory
Adams maintained that his loyalty to the party leadership remained unquestionable, insisting that such loyalty should not become a political liability.
He also called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the Inspector General of Police to intervene.
“I’m calling on the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to caution the Oba.
“The Oba is the reason why we lost the presidential election in 2023 in the constituency and he is the reason why we lost the House of Representatives seat. He lost in his own kingdom and the results are there at the INEC for all to see.
“I’m calling on the Inspector General of Police that if anything happens to me, he should hold the Oba responsible. And in 2027, if we lose the presidential election in the local government, the President should hold him responsible. We have assured the President that we are going to vote for him and he will win.”
Despite the tension generated by the allegations, Adams urged his supporters to remain calm, expressing confidence that the APC leadership would resolve the matter.
“We thank all those of you that voted and also thank President Ahmed Tinubu for his leadership. We extend our gratitude to the APC leaders in Lagos state. If it is not Noheem, it is not Noheem,” he said.
However, the palace of Oba Elegushi swiftly denied the allegations, describing them as blackmail and an attempt by politicians to drag the traditional institution into partisan politics.
READ ALSO:Oba Elegushi at 49: A Decade and Half of Royal Vision, Youthful Reign, and Community Impact
In a statement issued by Temitope Oyefeso, Special Assistant on Public Affairs to the monarch, the palace insisted that Oba Elegushi remained apolitical and had no involvement in the internal affairs or misfortunes of politicians.
“The attention of the Palace of His Royal Majesty, Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi has been drawn to a media campaign orchestrated to blackmail the traditional ruler over the failure of some politicians to secure the ticket of their party to contest in the next general elections,” the statement read.
“Ordinarily, we won’t have glorified this with any response but it is appropriate to reiterate the apolitical stance of the palace and the throne and reject in its entirety, this cheap blackmail by politicians who were rejected by their own party.”
The Merit Newspaper reports that the palace further stressed that the monarch welcomes politicians from different political backgrounds and has consistently maintained neutrality in political contests within Eti-Osa and Lagos State.
“Oba Saheed Elegushi remains a father to all and welcomes all players in the political space to his palace, regardless of their political affiliation,” the statement added.
The palace also recalled that the monarch once persuaded his younger brother to step down from an electoral contest after party leaders intervened, as proof of his respect for party supremacy and neutrality.
“Oba Elegushi remains committed to the peace and development of Eti-Osa and Lagos State and will continue to extend his full support to whoever is elected by the people, regardless of faith, tribe or political party.”
The palace warned politicians against dragging the traditional institution into political disputes and threatened legal action if the alleged blackmail persists.
“We urge politicians to explore all appropriate means to sell their candidacy to the people and should desist from dragging the traditional institution into politics.
“We won’t hesitate to seek legal redress if this is not complied with,” the statement concluded.
Meanwhile, some indigenous residents and stakeholders in Eti-Osa have also reportedly condemned Adams’ allegations against the monarch, warning politicians against ridiculing traditional institutions over political disagreements.












